Wednesday, September 7, 2011

the hunger strike



Hey Guys. So this month we're starting our first project sponsorship. But this isn't it. Yeah, remember we're supporting the Willtes this week, remember? Have you given yet?! What?! The week's almost over! Today I'm showing you this awesome organization called The Hunger Strike because it's totally relevant to the Willets. Kat is a field agent for The Hunger Strike. She's living as a missionary in Uganda right now. The simple premise of the Hunger Strike is to skip a meal and donate the amount of money that meal generally is to the website. And they feed the starving.

As I mentioned earlier, the Willets are literally and radically living to serve orphans in the name of Christ. I was up way early today reading this and it popped out at me and I thought I should share. It's out of Radical. You read that one yet? It's pretty awesome. Ok, here's what I read:

In 1 Timothy 6, Paul tells Timothy to command the rich "to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." This, Paul says, is the key to being free from the deadly nature of wealth and possessions. Give. Give generously, abundantly, and sacrificially. Give not because your stuff is bad. Give because Christ is in you. 

 So when I read this I immediately thought of the Willets. I was originally going to post about fall wardrobe selection! Maybe next week. Because this just felt necessary. You see, even as a fundraising family ourselves we always have more to spare than we think. We're supposed to share our excess, not hoard it. And the Willets have so freely used their money to adopt and serve in their ministries. And now the time has come that they need others to support them. They still have quite a bit of adoption funds to raise AND depend solely on donations to keep Kat in Uganda. They need money, you guys, and we have more than enough. Even if you don't have much to spare I bet you have a dollar. Please, OH please. This is me actually begging. I'll blog about whatever you want. Kittens? DIY projects? You can dare me to do junk. Whatever! Just give them a few bucks, ok ladies. We can blow this out of the water, I just know it. But there's only a few more days left! Right now, Thursday morning, the Willets have brought in $300. That's pretty good, but I'm desperate to do a thousand this week!!!

Once again, don't forget about the giveaway! Submissions are up tonight at midnight central time.

No comments:

Post a Comment