Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Drop in The Ocean



You guys, I am on a major Mother Theresa kick lately. She was the embodiment of what a modern 'saint' should be, and though I'm no saint (technically), the Bible repeatedly refers to us as such. Mother  Theresa taught something that is so crucial, but I find myself struggling with it all the time. Tell me if you've ever thought this... There is a wait list months, sometimes years long for a child. Am I really filling a need if there are a million others who are jumping through the same hoops?  All I have is a dollar. Is that really going to help? I can only sponsor one child and I can't help the other 80. 

Sometimes I feel like what I can do is not enough. I can't save the world all by myself. The best I can hope to be is a light, and that's all that's asked of me. And you. But imagine if we didn't...

Here's a few more Mother Theresa gems for you:

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

“I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, 'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask, 'How much love did you put into what you did?"

“The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.”

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”

“If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one.”

Get the message? Small counts. Really really counts. You might not be changing the whole world, but you make a difference to someone. It's enough. It's plenty.



And on a different note, does anyone happen to recognize the original source of this photo? I adore it like nobody's business and I'd love to throw some love their way. In fact, in a perfect world I'd have this gigantic on my mantel, so if anyone knows where it originally came from I'd be stoked!

2 comments:

  1. I love Mother Theresa too! Did you by chance see/buy the Wood family's adoption shirt? I got one for my mom for mom's day and it has this quote on it: “I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." Carrie's kids are home now (she was featured a month or so ago here) but I think they still have some shirts left :-)
    P.S LOTS of someones are making a difference to my family this week with their dollars. It has been the coolest thing ever to see names that I don't recognize (and names I do!) on my paypal list. Thanks again give1save1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed that quote tonight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete