- Annually, 21,000 women are hospitalized from having an illegal, unsafe abortion in Kenya. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- Abortion is a volatile topic in Kenya.
- 13,000 Kenyan girls are kicked out of school for being pregnant. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- 25% of pregnant women in Kenya are HIV positive (ObGyn in Kenya)
- Every 30 minutes, a woman is raped in Kenya. (Nairobi Women’s Hospital)
- Mothers often force their daughters into trading sex for food in the slums (CNN)
- More than 20,000 children are sex trafficked in Kenya (Human Trafficking)
- 1500 women die in childbirth every day across Africa (WHO)
The Vision of Rehema House (supported by Mercy House):
- Provide a safe place-a guarded home with six maternity beds
- Partner with local churches
- Prenatal Care-vitamins, checkups
- Proper Nutrition-protein and regular meals
- Counseling-post abortion/prostitution
- Ministry-prayer, Biblical teaching
- Skills-jewelry, soap, sewing (future products will be sold here)
- A nurturing environment in-which to give birth
- A safe place to stay and learn and heal until they graduate from the program
- An account to start small business or go to school (from products they make and sell)
- Our residents are invited to stay in the program for a minimum of two to four years, but our desire is to support each mom and baby throughout their lives. Each girl earns money through our Sustainable Skills Program and it will be dispersed over a long-term period to continue their education and even start a business as a part of our Graduate Program. Since our residents are at-risk- abused and even orphaned, we will assist them for as long as needed. We want to be their forever family and will tailor our help to each girl's situation. Our goal is quality, not quantity and total discipleship.
It is the desire of The Mercy House team to fulfill Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good: And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy, to walk humbly with your God."
These are the girls. They are so brave and smart. They are protected here. Counseled here. Supported here. This is an amazing place. These lovely ladies now have 4 baby boys living in that house! What a blessing! What would their lives and their deliveries be like if they weren't here? This is something I am moved by. I want to help, don't you? Well, you can do that in a few ways. Of course, you can donate your dollar right here. Or you can buy something that they have made. And, as always you can spread the word. I'll see you tomorrow!