Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Holidays Are Here

Hey guys, I made something up. A new series. A holiday series and it starts right now. Each Wednesday for the next few months we'll be chatting about holidays. Mostly because I really really really love them. Also because I believe we have a responsibility to do it better!!!

So this week (and throughout the series) we're talking fair trade. There are a million different ways to define 'fair trade', but let me tell you what it means to me and why we're talking about it on an adoption blog. I believe that a huge population of children are orphaned because of poverty. Poverty is what deprives someone of a chance. I imagine the birth moms of most of our children would have chosen dignified work to relinquishing their children if they had the choice. Well, we have an opportunity to 'vote' with our dollar bills, if you will. To tell Pottery Barn and Target and all those other fun places we enjoy shopping at, that we want our dollars to make a difference. For me, fair trade means that someone was given a decent wage and work environment, and thus a chance at improving their lives themselves, and that no one was harmed in the making of my junk.

So with all that heavy talk, let me just kick off by saying that we're going to spend the money anyway. Unless you're not, in which case, I applaud you and that's a totally different post. This one is for people who want to modify, not overhaul, their Christmas. Let's start with decorations! You have to get the good ones early, ya know.

First up, these adorable African huts from Crate and Barrel, made in Kenya. They are so cute you could easily use them year-round.

We have supported the Mercy House in Kenya before. Here's one more way. 


These sweet ornaments are a great way to commemorate a first Christmas home or a 'waiting' Christmas, and they support the Wallace family adoption. I don't know if that counts as fair trade, I'm totally not getting that technical, but it helps out one of our Mamas. 

Leave comments if you've found any awesome decorations that will do more good than harm. 








6 comments:

  1. oooh! LOVE that ornament!! Thanks fo sharing all of these awesome items, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it just gives me an excuse to scout the christmas stuff early! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm really happy that you wrote this post and I am looking forward to more holiday posts. I have also decided to modify our Christmas this year. The temptation is great to buy the toys that the kids get excited about on the tv commercials, but maybe your posts will help me stick to my guns!! On the charity:water website, they have some really neat water bottles made by KOR. Most of the money from your purchase goes to providing clean water to people who don't have access to it. Even though its not technically fair trade, it also does a lot of GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll check out the charity:water bottles. that's exactly the kind of stuff i'm looking for!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing these. I love shopping for a cause. I'm selling ornaments on my blog to help a family adopt domestically. justasmalltowngirlsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. megan, those are cute and that's such a sweet thing you're doing!

      Delete