Thursday, April 11, 2013

Doro Wot, Cupitt Style

Today we're sharing the best doro wot of all time. This is as tasty as what you find in Ethiopia. But before we begin, let me point out a few things.

1. Doro Wot smells divine. But it doesn't really photograph well. Sorry. Eat it anyway.
2. Those are not my man hands. Those are Brandon's. I don't really cook food very well.

OK, so now that we've got that out of the way, let's get on with it.



We buy ours at an Ethiopian market, but you can get the injera and the berbere here if you shop online. Injera ships out on Tuesdays, so plan accordingly.














let all that just chill for a while and then...


i like mine a little chunky, but you can use sauce if if you like it smooth



add a bit of water too if it's looking too thick for your taste






Now present it to your family. Here's what ours did. Abby looked hungry and sad.


Jude ate a ton of injera. 

Will thought he could handle the heat. But ended up guzzling a gallon of milk. 







And we ate 'til we could hardly walk, like we always do when we make this. The end. 



6 comments:

  1. That looks SOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ethiopian food, but my husband is skeptical to try anything that's not pizza or chicken fingers. (; We are adopting from ET and I want him to be able to enjoy the food too. This makes cooking it seem so much more realistic and doable, and it will be a great way to ease him in! Thanks SO much! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, awesome! i hope he likes it. but if not, they have tons of pizza in ethiopia, so he'll survive. but i thought the food was amazing.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever attempted making the injera? I attempted it once, but the griddle was old and it stuck. I have a brand new lefse griddle and on April 23rd I'm attempting it again. That will be our "1 year of waiting" celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just made me so happy. I love, love, love Ethiopian food but had no idea where to buy the spices or injeera. I was just in Phoenix visiting a friend and she surprised me by taking me to an Ethiopian restaurant. When we lived in same town we would take a drive on Sundays sometimes just to eat Ethiopian. When I'm in Uganda, it's lunch at least 3 times a week at this small little restaurant. I can't wait to order injeera and get to work cooking!

    ReplyDelete